Premarital counseling is a form of couples therapy which helps the couple to assess the strengths of their relationship while finding opportunities for the couple to maintain the joy which has driven their decision to marry. With strong relationship skills we keep love alive and provide the couple with the relationship wellness skill-set to embody the hopeful tenants of the upcoming vows. Also, take a few moments to use our premarital counseling questionnaire which is a great tool for you and your partner to use. Here are some fun and relevant statistics from the Health Research and Statistic Fund to keep in mind as you prepare for your upcoming marriage.
- As many as 93% of Americans site that having a happy relationship is a goal of theirs.
- Couples who participate in some form of premarital counseling had 30% greater success rate for happiness and longevity in their marriages than couples who did not.
- The average length of treatment for premarital counseling is about 8 sessions.
- About 44% of American couples doing premarital counseling before walking down the aisles have a goal to enhance and maintain their relationship wellness.
By working with a marriage counselor who is an expert in assessing relationships, you will be able to identify what parts of your connection are especially strong and also to look at the potential pitfalls in combining the unique styles of personality that each partner brings into the relationship. This provides an opportunity to enhance the relationship and prevent the potential that things could go wrong before they actually do.
Remember that according to the National U.S Bureau of Labor Statistics, as many as 43% of marriages end in divorce. There are so many things that we can do before a relationship takes a wrong turn to intervene and keep marriages and families happy, healthy, and intact. Couples who participate in premarriage or premarital counseling are psychologically healthy with a positive outlook on their relationship.
Premarital Counseling Goals
- To provide education and information on married life.
- Discuss each partner’s envisioned roles in the marriage.
- To examine the communication styles of each parter in the relationship and to determine the strengths and areas for growth or potential pitfalls of that style.
- To develop a plan for conflict management using healthy relationship wellness skills.
- To have conversations about important relationship matters such as sexual intimacy, finances and division of household labor, as well as parenting as well as what those topics mean to each person in the relationship.
- Identifying the strengths and resources within the relationship, to look at what parts of the communication and intimacy are really thriving and provide information about what helps the couple to bond to together more deeply.
- To provide insight into what could potentially become gridlocked issues in communication or personality. Remember that no matter how perfect our match is with our fiancé, we take on a set of unsolvable problems in every relationship. With perpetual problems, it is important to identify them and provides ways to manage them constructively using healthy relationship skills.
The average couple seeks marriage counseling after many years of hardship and conflict, just like in all forms of medicine, prevention and early detection are the keys to remaining well. For relationships, we know that therapy has much better outcomes when couples decide to act early. The relationship experts at The Counseling and Wellness Center of Pittsburgh are glad to help you enhance your relationship, to create a well-informed, well-prepared, more harmonious and well-balanced marriage that is immunized to the potential risks that could cause it to fail or be challenged in all of the many years of future to come.
We are also proud to be a center that specializes in serving all diverse members of our western Pennsylvania community, offering specialized and inclusive care for all including LGBTQIA communities.
Premarital counseling does not need to be a part of a religious process and most of our therapists practice counseling methods which are grounded in compassionate human science. For the service of our individuals and clients, we do have one therapist who offers Christian counseling.
Alison Aughinbaugh, Omar Robles, and Hugette Sun, “Marriage and divorce: patterns by gender, race, and educational attainment,” Monthly Labor Review, U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, October 2013, https://doi.org/10.21916/mlr.2013.32.
Interested in Pre Marriage Counseling?
If you are interested in premarital counseling, call us at 412-322-2129 or fill out the form below.
Blogs About Premarital Counseling
32 Questions to Ask Before Marriage
by Counseling and Wellness Center of PittsburghOctober 24, 2022 couples communication, couples counseling, couples therapy, premarital counseling, premarital counseling questionnaire, premarriage counseling, questions for couples, relationship, relationship conflict, relationship resolutions, wellness counseling0 comments
If you have recently answered ‘yes’ to a marriage proposal, then along with the rush of planning your version of the perfect wedding you also may also be considering whether you should be going to premarital counseling. Premarital counseling is a form of couples therapy that emphasizes wellness. Our counselors have put together a list of questions to ask before marriage to...Learn More
8 Signs that Your Relationship will Lead to Marriage
by Counseling and Wellness Center of PittsburghJuly 12, 2019 conversations for couples, counseling near me, how to tell that your relationship will lead to marriage, marriage and family statistics, premarital counseling near me0 comments
According to the US National Bureau of Family and Marriage Statistics, in 2017 there were 130 million married couples living in the US. Still, not every relationship is going to make it to the altar, it is even true that not every healthy or compatible relationship will have long term potential. The issue is that everyone is looking for something a little different to inspire them to settle...Learn More
Premarital Counseling Questionnaire
by Counseling and Wellness Center of PittsburghMay 18, 2018 couples communication, couples counseling, couples therapy, premarital counseling, premarital counseling questionnaire, premarriage counseling, questions for couples, relationship, relationship conflict, relationship resolutions, wellness counseling0 comments
Premarital Counseling Questionnaire, prepare your relationship for a long happy marriage. If you have recently answered ‘yes’ to a marriage proposal, then along with the rush of planning your version of the perfect wedding you also may also be considering whether you should be going to premarital counseling. Premarital counseling is a form of couples therapy that emphasizes...Learn More
Relationship Wellness Checklist, A Mindful Marriage Moment
by Counseling and Wellness Center of PittsburghApril 16, 2018 counseling, marriage counseling, mindfulness0 comments
Relationship Wellness Checklist, A Mindful Marriage Moment Marriage, relationships, couple-dom, all forms of interpersonal dynamics work based upon unstated rules, we peacefully and automatically operate with a lifetime of typical exchanges. Some moments are peppered with glimmers of joy, one part emotional support, heaps of memories made, when we are being good stewards of...Learn More